Fire & Smoke
How Fire-Safe Is Your Home?
You won’t know until you do a fire safety walkthrough.
Conduct a fire safety walkthrough of your home on a regular basis. Use the following tips to help you in your walkthrough:
- Keep clothes, blankets, curtains, towels and other items that can easily catch on fire at least three feet from space heaters, and away from stove burners.
- Place space heaters where they will not tip over easily.
- Have chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a professional.
- Clear the area around trash, flammables and decorative materials.
- Always use a metal mesh screen with fireplaces and leave glass doors open while burning a fire.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Be sure your stove and small appliances are off before going to bed.
- Check for worn wires and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.
- Never overload electrical sockets.
- Keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children.
- Never leave cigarettes unattended and never smoke in bed.
- Make sure cigarettes and ashes are out. The cigarette needs to be completely stubbed out in the ashtray or run under water.